According to the National Fire Protection Association and the United States Fire Administration, space heaters annually account for 40% of reported U.S. home heating fires.
Please practice extreme caution when using space heaters this season. Keep things that can burn at least 3 feet away from space heaters, and create a three-foot “kid-free zone” around them. Make sure to use equipment that has the label of a qualified testing laboratory, and have a qualified professional install stationary heating equipment according to local codes and manufacturer’s instructions.
- Place space heaters on a solid, flat surface, away from high traffic areas and doorways.
- Turn them off when you go to bed or leave the room.
- Use and purchase heaters with an automatic shut off so if they’re tipped over they will shut off.
- Plug power cords directly into outlets and never into an extension cord.
- Inspect for cracks or damage, broken plugs, or loose connections; replace before using.
Winter fires are preventable! Visit http://www.nfpa.org/winter for more heating safety advice.