Imagine at one time on the far northwest end of Antelope Drive stood a glorious bathing resort that enticed thousands of people from all over to come and enjoy its magic. The resort was beautifully landscaped with large trees, bushes and flowers. Picnic tables, bathing houses and a large pavilion where brass bands played music only added to the ambience of the long gone resort.

Two men, Daniel C. Adams and Fred Keisel, had a dream, to build a first class bathing resort along the eastern shore of the Great Salt Lake. In 1886 construction began. By 1887 seventy bath houses had been built along the shore of the famous lake. The bath houses were unique in their designs too, since each one provided fresh water so the patrons could wash the salt off of themselves when they were finished enjoying their dip into the salty lake.

Adding to the excitement of the resort was the Ogden-Syracuse Railway which was built at the same time as the Syracuse Resort. The railway brought people from all over, including Ogden, Salt Lake City, Huntsville and eventually around the country. It is even said that a “royal family” visited the resort but which royal family wasn’t clearly documented.

As the popularity of the resort grew so did the attractions it provided. A horse drawn merry-go-round was added along with concert and choir events, dances and even baseball games added to the entertainment. Famous people performed in the nearby pavilion including Signor Enrico Campobello who was a world renown opera singer at that time.

Unfortunately not all good things are meant to last. In 1892 due to land title problems, the bathing resort closed. Fortunately the dance pavilion and other parts of the resort continued to stay open and provide entertainment for the public for several more years.

Today tall grass, rocks and trees have erased all traces of the once popular resort. All that remains are memories and pictures that have been documented and preserved by those who were fortunate enough to hear the stories of the once grand “Oasis in the Desert”.