Carbon Monoxide Safety

Often called the silent killer, carbon monoxide (CO) is an invisible, odorless, colorless gas created when fuels burn incompletely. In the home, heating and cooking equipment including furnaces, ranges, water heaters, room heaters and even clothes dryers can be sources of carbon monoxide.

Please follow these important safety tips for your home:

Install CO alarms in a central location outside sleeping areas on every level of the home.

Test CO alarms at least once a month.

If the CO alarm intermittently sounds, check for low batteries, replacing if necessary. 

If the CO alarm constantly sounds or continues to sound after replacing the batteries, move your family to a fresh air location outdoors and call the fire department.

Do not allow vehicles to “warm up” in the garage, even if the garage doors are open. 

Use generators and gas or charcoal grills in well-ventilated locations outdoors.

CO detectors save lives! Please ensure you have working CO detectors installed in your home and be sure to contact the fire department if you have any questions.    

Leave a Reply