The Fire that Destroyed a Church in 1940
Fire raged through the old Syracuse Ward House in October 1940. Ivar Youngberg, a Syracuse factory worker, noticed a light and smoke in the church on his way to work at 11:00 p.m. and called Sheriff Joseph Holbrook. Sheriff Holbrook called the Layton Fire department as flames leaped from the brick structure and the Kaysville fire department was called as well. Five hundred spectators and volunteers fought the fire but it was a total loss. The charred recreation hall adjacent to the Chapel was also damaged. Ernest and Ethyl Wanda Zaugg were given permission to take the lumber from the charred hall to build their house. The house is still standing strong in Syracuse.
(The Chapel and Recreation Hall were located where the new CVS drug store is now.)
An original newspaper article about the fire can be found in the museum. If interested, come in to find the location of the Zaugg house.
Syracuse Museum and Cultural Center
Open: T-TH 2-5 pm by appointment (801)825-3633
1700 S (Antelope Drive) just before 2000 W. Syracuse, Ut
**Volunteers needed. One day a week for three hours.**