Christmas Tree Safety Tips:
• Choose a tree with fresh, green needles that do not fall off when touched.
• Before placing the tree in the stand, cut 2” from the base of the trunk.
• Make sure the tree is at least three feet away from any heat source, like fireplaces, radiators, candles, heat vents or lights.
• Make sure the tree is not blocking an exit.
• Add water to the tree stand. Be sure to add water daily.
• Use lights that have the label of an independent testing laboratory. Some lights are only for indoor or outdoor use.
• Replace any string of lights that have worn or broken cords, or loose bulb connections. Again, read manufacturer’s instructions for number of light strands to connect.
• Never use lit candles to decorate the tree.
• Always turn off Christmas tree lights before leaving home or going to bed.
• Dried-out trees are a fire danger, and should not be left in the home or garage, or placed outside against the home.
• If purchasing an artificial tree, be sure it is labeled as fire-retardant.
We wish you and your family a safe and happy Christmas holiday, and as always, please contact the fire department if you have any questions.