Community Question Corner


QUESTION: Who do I contact if I have an idea or concern with Syracuse’s government or ordinances?

Answer: Have a great idea that will increase quality of life in Syracuse? Concerned about an ordinance? We are happy to hear from you.

But who is the right person to contact?

Generally, concerns about the enforcement of existing laws are conveyed to the city department head that oversees that enforcement. If unsatisfied with their response, then you can raise those issues with the city manager or mayor.

But when an issue involves an ordinance, or if you have an idea for a new program for the city, your city council are the best contacts. Councilmembers set policy for the city, approve the budget, and enact ordinances.

We have five councilmembers, all of whom are elected at large – meaning they serve all citizens of the city without geographical districts. You may contact any one of them (or all of them) if you have a suggestion. No need to be shy; they are responsive and appreciate your input.

You may provide public comment during any of their bi-weekly council meetings. Also, direct contact information for the City Council is currently found on our website at:

Do you have a community question?
Submit your question to

Leave a Reply