Public Works Update

Trim trees 7 feet above the sidewalk and 11 feet above street.

Secondary water – Due to the ongoing drought conditions, secondary water startup will most likely be sometime in May. More information will be in the May magazine. In the meantime, clean your filter and have your valves turned off. Do not turn the city valve on or off. It is recommended that you install your own shutoff valve and filter if you don’t already have one.

To request assistance with the city valve, please submit a fix-it request on the website. For emergency shut offs, call 801-825-7235.

When would I need an Excavation Permit?
Excavation permits are required for any work that is performed inside the city right-of-way (i.e., road, sidewalk, park-strip) that requires cutting asphalt, concrete, or excavations deeper than six inches. Examples may include widening a drive approach, repairing underground utilities, and so forth. Permits are obtained at Public Works and online.

Remember to call 811 for Blue Stakes before you start installing fences, landscaping, sprinklers, RV Pads, accessory buildings, swimming pools, trampoline pits, or anything that requires digging. It is a state law to contact Blue Stakes of Utah at least two full business days prior to any digging to have all utilities marked. Some utilities are located in backyards. Please be aware that if Blue Stakes is called for a project on or near your property, utility companies and city employees may need to enter your backyard to mark the utilities in that area. This increases safety awareness to you or your contractor by knowing where underground utilities are located so they do not risk damaging utilities. Blue Stake requests may also be submitted online at

Environmental Department
Flushable but not dissolvable wipes- Just because you CAN flush it does not mean you SHOULD flush it. Even wipes labeled as “flushable” can lead to toilet and pipe blockages. Please dispose of floatable, flushable wipes in the garbage to avoid possible sewer back-ups.

Tree Trimming
This is a good time of year to trim trees along the roads and sidewalks. Remember the 7/11 rule for trimming clearance: 7 feet above the sidewalk and 11 feet above the street. Offer to help others who may need assistance with tree trimming.

Residential Grease
Residents can help prevent pipe blockages and sewer overflows by keeping grease out of the sewer system. Sewer backups are health hazards: they can cause damage to homes and threaten the environment. Sewer pipes blocked by grease are an increasing common cause of overflows.

Where does grease come from?
Fats, oils, and grease are a natural consequence of cooking and can also occur naturally in many foods. Grease is the common term for animal fats and vegetable oils. It can be found in items such as the following:
• Meat fats
• Lard
• Butter and margarine
• Cooking oil
• Shortening
• Food scraps
• Baking goods

What are the grease issues?
Grease is frequently poured down the sink drain because the warm oils are liquid and can be poured. It may not appear to be harmful, but, as the liquid cools, the grease solidifies and causes buildup inside the pipes, becoming a hardened mass. The buildup restricts the flow of sewage and clogs the pipes.

Leave a Reply